Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Momma's 30!

Well Cosmo, today is a big day. I'm 30! I've heard so many horror stories of the angst and drama and feelings of life being over that accompany 30th birthdays, but in all honesty, I am loving it! I feel like a real "grown-up" now, like people will take me more seriously since my age no longer starts with a "2." Plus, I know what an incredible decade this is going to be--the decade of family building!

Your dad was gone for the last two days on a business trip to Florida (he was the keynote speaker at a conference, Cosmo! You may not know what that means yet...for now we'll just go with that means your dad is a rock star!). I think I've reached the "weepy" stage of this pregnancy because I just did not deal well with him being gone. Though I've dealt with his business trips for several years now (long ones, too...1-2 weeks! This one was only a measly 2 days...), this time I almost burst into tears in the frozen food section of the grocery store. I was just so overcome with missing him, with missing having him there with me every evening, taking care of us, kissing my tummy, telling me and telling you how much he loves us. And then yesterday, the last day of my 20s, when he called from the airport in Dallas during his layover, I actually did burst into tears. There I was, watching the last remnants of my 20s leave forever, alone, eating a microwaved chicken pot pie and watching trashy TV with Icarus and Loki. You'll learn this about me, but I LOVE making a big deal over "lasts"--the last day I was a teen, the last day I was a 20-something, the last time your dad and I travel alone before we have kids, etc. I think it's so important to really stop and appreciate the important milestones in your life...that way you never have to stop and look back and wonder where something--some time--went and realize that you never appreciated it while it was there. So anyway, there I was, alone in the last hours of my 20s, bawling to your dad who couldn't do anything but tell me how sorry he was that he wasn't there with me.

But then he did do something! He caught an earlier flight (that was actually delayed...which is why he was able to catch it) and made it home by 11:56 p.m. He woke me up, telling me that he wanted to make sure he was there with me for the end of my 20s. Then he climbed into bed with me, suit and all, and hugged me tightly for the next 5 minutes. He is the most amazing person I've ever know. If you're a man, I hope you can be the kind of man your father is. If you're a woman, I hope you find yourself someone like your father as your partner through life. He makes my life...blessed.

Anyway, back to the weepy stage. I'm hoping it's just a stage and that soon I can go back to the "don't break down in the middle of a grocery store" self that I'm used to being! Even just typing this post made me teary. Oi vey.

We are celebrating tonight with our softball team...going bowling. Kind of weird, I know. And then your dad has something up his sleeve for this weekend! I know we're having a party, but I don't know what it is...this is a big accomplishment for him! He's usually terrible at keeping secrets.

So, from 30-year-old, happy me to you...love ya kiddo.

Mom

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"If you're a man, I hope you can be the kind of man your father is. If you're a woman, I hope you find yourself someone like your father as your partner through life. He makes my life...blessed."

*SNIFF*

BeckO said...

Well I didn't *think* I was at the weepy stage.. until I read your post. Thanks.
I am so excited to see all your 30s have in store for you and your beautiful family!

Unknown said...

How I missed such a big day, I'll never know. Let's blame Luke, okay? ;o)

Happy Belated Birthday!!! Had I known what you were up to last night I would've brought you ice cream or something equally delicious.