My aunt sent this song to me. I only hope our child grows to have both roots and wings.
Roots and Wings (A child's bedtime song)
If I had two wishes, I know what they would be,
I'd wish for roots to cling to and wings to set me free.
Roots of inner values, like rings within a tree,
and wings of independence, to seek my destiny.
Roots to hold forever to keep me safe and strong,
to let me know you love me,
when I've done something wrong;
to show me by example,
and help me learn to choose,
to take those actions every day to win instead of lose.
Just be there when I need you, to tell me it's all right,
to face my fear of falling when I test my wings in flight;
Don't make my life too easy, it's better if I try,
and fail and get back up myself, so I can learn to fly.
If I had two wishes, and two were all I had,
and they could just be granted,
by my Mom and Dad;
I wouldn't ask for money or any store-bought things,
the greatest gifts I'd ask for are simply Roots and Wings.
- By Denis Waitley
Sunday, March 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
That song is so sweet. Had me all teary-eyed.
How incredibly touching that your aunt thought to send that to you.
Post a Comment