Monday, March 30, 2009

Is That You, Baby Girl?

I know it's still early. Most people don't feel the baby until around 20 weeks. And I know last week the nurse said I have an anterior placenta, meaning it's between the baby and the outside of my stomach, effectively cushioning and dampering any movement that might be going on in there. I had determined not to get my hopes up about feeling baby Alina for at least 3 more weeks.

But then Saturday night, I felt what can best be described as a muscle spasm. A really rapid muscle spasm, right in the middle of my ute. It only happened once.

And then Sunday morning it happened again, before I got out of bed. The same really rapid muscle spasm, the same area. I went for a long walk, and all morning, and most of the early afternoon, the same thing. It happened about once every five to ten minutes. I put my hand on my stomach, reasoning that if it were a muscle twitch (which I don't discount, seeing as how my uterus is growing and moving my ab muscles all around), I should be able to feel it from the outside. No dice. It was an inside-only feeling.

But there's no way that's her, right? I mean, I had imagined feeling the baby would be feeling one jab or kick at a time. This was like feeling a Jacky Chan punch--you're expecting just one, but you give five in just as short a time, rapid fire. I told TH, and he said "yes! Fluttering!" He's so easy to convince. But again, it couldn't be, right? Most people feel the baby the first time and then don't feel it again for a couple of days. I felt this feeling for like 6 hours straight. And what about my anterior placenta? What about not being able to feel anything until 20-22 weeks??

For now, I'm writing it off as twitches, spasms. But I'm also documenting it: first felt at 15w5 days, then felt a lot at 15w6d. Maybe, baby.

Maybe you're just like your momma. Someone tells you that you can't do something, and you do it just to prove them wrong.

4 comments:

BeckO said...

I think it very well could have been Ali! She was saying "Hey mama, I had fun visiting with A&B today, lets do that again sometime!" ;)
No really though, the first feeling I felt (that I didn't totally believe at first) was rapid fire like that as well. It didn't feel like gas or bubbles or a kick.. it just felt.. tickley/twitchy/fluttery.

Wait a few days and see if she has a repeat performance.. but I wouldn't totally discredit it yet!

SFNewzGirl said...

How cool!

Jenny said...

FWIW- I was feeling little pops and things at 16-17 weeks. At 18 weeks I saw a kick for the first time. And more often than not i could SEE it and not feel it. Try laying down and just staring at your bare belly. You might see something!! :) Very exciting!

HappyFrau said...

Hey Girl! You're having a sweet baby girl?! How exciting!! Congratulatons from the K family to you and A!!
You just know we love your name choice! ;-) Hope to get to see you soon! ~N