Monday, March 9, 2009

"Knocked Up" was Funnier When I Wasn't

So after an activity- and guest-packed weekend, TH and I enjoyed a couple of hours of down time yesterday before pulling our asses back off the couch to run errands. How did we spend our down time? Watching Knocked Up.

Now, it's not the first time I've seen it. And you'd think in my present "condition" it would be even funnier, even more relatable.

Apparently, not so much.

My thought process watching this movie before being pregnant:
Hahahaha, that's so funny! What a crazy situation! Those two poor schmucks. Ooohhahaha, the funny pg hormones and random bitchiness! OMG, I'm dying! The pg sex when he's too freaked out to do it, and then the baby kicks and he's done! Bwahahahaha! Ooheehehahaheee, the craziness of labor and the screaming! HA. HA. HA.

My thought process watching this movie now that I am pregnant:
That's not funny. He needs to be more understanding of what she's going through. Why is her family giving her such a hard time? Oh no, are we going to start being too freaked out to have sex?!?! OMG, she didn't get the epidural in time! Noooooooooooooooo!!!!

And then...wait for it...I started crying. I can't really even explain why. It wasn't because I was freaked out. I'm guessing it has to do with all the crazy hormones and then watching her give birth and seeing the tiny little baby that you get to hold at the end, and the joy of everyone who was there to support them.

Poor TH. Instead of a funny break, he got a crying wife.

So, note to self: don't watch Knocked Up anymore. It won't go well.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dude...my childbirth class teacher expressly forbid us from watching this movie (and other overly-dramatized shows like they have on Discovery Health) because she said it would just freak us (read: me) out and make us (read: me) a mess. Guess she was right! Hopefully the movie isn't ruined forever because it's one of my favorites. :-/