If I could have chosen, before coming into the world, whether I wanted to be a man or a woman, I would have chosen woman hands down.
Heck, maybe I did get to choose. Maybe that's why I'm here, wearing a bra rather than scratching my nuts.
From where I stand, being a woman truly is the better of the two experiences. We get to be strong and soft, without getting judged for either. We get to be pampered and spoiled. We have doors opened for us, and strangers rush to help us lift heavy bags into airline overhead bins. We are, let's face it, the more physically aesthetic of the sexes. And we can get free shit just by batting our eyes, smiling coyly, twirling a strand of hair around a finger, and adding the slightest gentle lilt to our dialogue.
Yes. Being a woman is awesome.
But there's another reason being a woman is awesome. Why it's the most incredible experience possible.
Look at that.
I mean, really, stop and look.
Being a woman, being a mother, means getting to do THAT.
Getting to grow a life inside of me. Getting to GROW a LIFE INSIDE of me.
My daughter? That funny, sassy, independent, loving, strong-willed, curious little girl who will one day grow into an adult, a fully functioning, contributing member of society? I grew her. She started out tiny, and grew and grew and grew. I surrounded her tiny body with warmth and protection, a perfect environment in which to nourish her.
And now I'm getting to do it again. Right now. Inside me. Dos is that size. Tiny. Vulnerable. Amazing. Miraculous.
And I get to be part of that miracle. I'm a part of that story.
What an incredible thing it is to live life as a woman. I am so incredibly thankful for this experience.
Monday, November 15, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
It is amazing isn't it. I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.
I totally agree, well said. I wouldn't give up the experience of being pregnant for anything on earth. I feel badly for DH that he doesn't have that opportunity.
Post a Comment