Monday, July 20, 2009

32 Weeks

In the beginning, everyone told me how fast this pregnancy would go. They were wrong . . . the first trimester d-r-a-g-g-e-d by, each day filled with worry and hope and counting the days and minutes until my next appointment, my next reassurance that everything was fine.

Then I heard that time would slow down in the third trimester, until every day, every moment stretched to eternity, waiting, wondering when labor would start, when baby would come and change our lives forever. Wrong again. If anything, time has certainly sped up! I cannot believe I am 32 weeks pregnant today! I cannot believe we only have 8 weeks to go until baby girl's official due date. It seems like we still have so many little details to take care of, and so little time, on a day-to-day basis, in which to take care of them. I'm sure our busy schedule has a great deal to do with how quickly time is traipsing along--each day filled to the brink with work and chores and travel and guests and showers and don't-forget-our-baby-to-do-list! (I can honestly say that, as difficult as it has been in the last couple of weeks keeping up with our own lives, I would MUCH rather have it be this way than the alternative . . . I tend to go CRAZY when there's nothing to do!)

Over the weekend I took my last trip home before baby girl makes her appearance. It was a strange feeling, driving back home, the same drive I've made a million times all through college and grad school and the rest of my 20s; sleeping in the bed I've slept in since 8th grade; getting ready in the bathroom I got ready for homecoming and prom in; and knowing it was the last time I would ever be in these areas without a daughter, seeing the big, round proof of her in the mirror I used to look into to get ready for dates with her daddy.

My mom's two best friends hosted a shower for us, and it was gorgeous! These ladies are decorating and crafting extraordinaires, and no detail was missed. There were tiny rubber duckies with pink bonnets tucked into flower arrangements, diaper cakes, name tags with little pink ribbons glued to the corner of each one, a clothes line with various baby goods strung across the fireplace (including an adorable sparkly pink tu-tu and a neon-green plastic baseball bat . . . the first time someone has correctly acknowledged the dichotomy that will be Ali!), a "flower arrangement" that was actually diapers and socks and washclothes, and a table full of delectable food, including cupcakes with pink sprinkles, finger sandwiches, veggies, fruit, cheese, chips, crackers, the works! I was totally blown away by their preparations and so touched that they would go through so much for our sake.

After visiting with all the guests, we played a cute game that I had never seen before: tiny plastic babies had been frozen into the middle of ice cubes. Each guest got a cube, and the goal was to be the first to "birth your baby"--free your baby from its protective "liquid" home--without using your mouth. It was hilarious to see a bunch of women trying to rub these little babies out of their ice cubes (and one woman just got up and poured hot water on the cube . . . I think she kind of missed the point). My sister was the first one to free her baby, and then she even took mine and freed it before anyone else had managed to get theirs out! I told her she must have missed her calling as a midwife.

We were definitely "showered" with gifts; everyone was so generous! We got much of our essential gear and tons of sweet books and hooded towels and so-soft blankets. I just can't wait to wrap her up and revel in her cuteness. The best part of the shower was having three of my four grandmothers together, having them take part in the celebration. I am so, so thankful to the hostesses for that wonderful afternoon.

Here are the stats for week 32!

How far along?: 32 weeks
Total weight gain: 19 lbs
How big is baby?: we only got to listen to her heartbeat at the last appointment, but the book says about 4 lbs, and we all know she's bigger than average . . . so . . . 4.5 lbs?
Maternity clothes?: Yes, and the number that fit are dwindling. I got a last-minute infusion of larger-sized hand-me-downs from my cousin, so I'm hoping that saves us from having to buy any more!
Stretch marks?: Still none . . . keeping my eyes peeled, though.
Sleep?: Some nights good, some nights not so good. The other morning I awoke around 5 with the worst nausea-burning-pain up behind my ribs. The only thing I can figure out is that she had kicked my stomach way up into my chest!
Best moment this week?: Being home with my family for the last time and having my mom, dad, and sister be able to feel Ali move.
Movement?: She is a mover and a shaker! TH finally got to feel one of her side-to-side rolls last night and he flipped! It is so much different than her punches and kicks. I'm hoping with all the head-down, head-up flipping she's still doing, that she settles in the next few weeks into a permanent head-down postion.
Food cravings?: Nope.
Labor signs?: Nada. Which is good. Don't think about that stuff for AT LEAST another 5-6-7 weeks, baby girl!
Belly button in or out?: Still in for the most part. Depending on what she's doing in there, sometimes the top lip will stick out. Other times, when she's moved around to a different position, it will be all-inny (and pretty deep!) again. Silly baby.
What I miss: Being able to walk without moving from side-to-side
What I'm looking forward to: Getting all her new gear organized and put away into her nursery
Milestone: Hitting the single-digit weekly countdowns! Almost there!

No comments: