So, there it is. AF. And all that it means. I'm not going to elaborate on all that it means. There's a point at which this all becomes repetitive.
Here's what I do have to say. TH took me out to dinner last night. We went to a dive catfish parlor that has been locally famous for longer than I've been alive. We've been wanting to try it ever since we bought our house out here more than a year ago and just never found the right time.
As I walked into the glow of the neon signs reflecting off red-checkered table cloths, as I listened to him say one of his million funny things, I was suddenly wholly overcome with peace and happiness. I love my life.
One year ago I was recovering from cancer, from a surgery that left us tens of thousands of dollars in debt. Cancer. At 28. That we were lucky--LUCKY--to catch when we did. And I am here today, was there last night, with my best friend, in a dive restaurant, surrounded by his love and his friendship and his dedication to me that is more powerful and overwhelming and total than I ever imagined I would experience.
If there's one thing I learned last year, between the time I heard I had to go back to "discuss my results" and the time I was home recovering from surgery, and even to this moment and every appointment I have where I am declared still clear, it's this: life is a beautiful experience. Be thankful every moment you have it.
I am lucky to live the life I do with the person I do. Even if we never have kids, if nothing ever changes for us, I will have had the most incredible time here. Because even in the face of sorrow, he somehow makes me happy.
Wednesday, November 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
You are absolutely right, life is beautiful.. even in times like this that leave us heartbroken.
But let me say - you WILL have kids. There is no IF about it... you will, I know it and you know it.
I'm glad that amidst your disappointment you are able to see all the ways you are so blessed.
((HUGS))
Damn.
Post a Comment