And that's just about how the rest of my day went, too. Food didn't sit well. The people I work with asked stupid, inane questions. I felt tired and crampy. BLAH.
All I could think about all day was spending time with my baby. When 4 o'clock rolled around, I decided I didn't want to waste another second sitting behind my desk. I left. A whole 30 minutes early.
I know 30 minutes doesn't seem like much in the course of a day, but it was a stolen 30 minutes, and extra 30 minutes that my soul craved. I picked her up from school and we went to a park and played in the gorgeous sunshine. For 30 minutes, we climbed stairs and slid down slides and played peek-a-boo around the playground. We searched for big sticks and small sticks and berries. We passed rocks back and forth. We hid my phone and keys and then found them again. We pointed out birds and planes and clouds and bumblebees and itsy-bitsy-spiders. I watched my baby girl, my toddler, my daughter play with the other children there, laughed at her loudly identifying which ones weren't wearing shoes, a small crime in her 18-month-old world. I told her to jump up when she tripped and she told me to jump up when I sat down to take a break. I marveled at her courage as she passed, shaking, from the top of the ladder to the safety of the platform, high above my head. I melted at her need for me to hold her hand.
That stolen 30 minutes with her undid the hours and hours of funk that had swarmed around me all day.
When I was in school, I was never one to play hooky. Maybe I just never had a good enough alternative option.
She is my sunshine.
She makes me happy when skies are gray.



2 comments:
Love!
What a sweet post. You always capture emotions and feelings so well. I can totally relate to this.
Post a Comment