Pregnancy has given me a superpower.
My superhero name? Bloodhound.
It's true. I didn't really take note of this interesting development with my first pregnancy. I was probably too caught up in the miracle of life, blah blah blah. But this time, being able to relax a little more (except for when Dos is messing with me) has given me the time and brain space to notice the other, more subtle effects of expecting.
Like my now-superpowered sense of smell.
I walk by our work break room and can tell what someone has microwaved for lunch. Today, it was King Ranch Chicken. The frozen, boxed, healthy kind. I can even tell you if the dish was frozen or fresh.
Or whether my kid just had a nasty fart or if she pooped, just by breathing in when she walks by.
Speaking of poop, I can walk into our work bathroom, with all six stalls empty, and tell which stall the previous person took a dump in. That's right, y'all. I can detect the essence of poop. (I put my power to use in this case by avoiding that stall at all costs.)
And if our one of our cats jumps on my husband's lap, I can tell if he (the cat, not the husband) just used the bathroom or not. NOT because he (the cat, not the husband) smells of poop (cats are far too meticulous for that), but because he (hopefully you understand whom I'm discussing by now) smells of fresh kitty litter. A bit like flowers mixed with fruit. And I can tell when TH needs to change the litter because my kitty's no longer smell like fruity flowers after using the box.
And I can smell my husband's pants at the end of the day and tell if the just-out-of-the-litter kitties spent some time snuggling on his lap that evening.
I would like if pregnancy gave me the ability to read minds or fly or become an amazing cook or any other super power that would actually be useful and/or fun. But I suppose we mere mortals should not be choosy when it comes to the temporary acquisition of superpowers.
Thursday, January 13, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment