Sunday, April 19, 2009

Big Weekend, Baby Girl!

Last Thursday was your daddy's and my 4-year wedding anniversary! I can't believe we've already been married four years...much less that we've been together almost 13 years! Time flies when you get to spend every day with your best friend. Here's some motherly advice for you, sweet girl: when the time comes to choose a man to marry, choose your best friend. One day, or many days, you will hear all about how your dad and I met the first day of 11th grade, about how I thought he was someone else, about our immediate friendship, about how different we both were from anything the other had ever known. You'll hear about your dad fighting to win me over from another man (scandalous!), about our late night trips to downtown Dallas, about the stories he used to tell me, weaving a history that captivated me. You'll hear about how romantic he's always been, about how we fought for our relationship through college, through the years when we were both searching for and learning so much about ourselves. But, through every step, along every turn, in every moment, good and bad, he was always my best friend. And that's what saved us time and again. That's what's given us strength.

Our anniversary was wonderful. We watched our wedding video, like we do every year, and it was so fun to relive that day, that perfect day. Your dad said that he can't wait to show you that video next year! I got a little teary watching my dances with my two dads, thinking about how, at a time that seems so far off but that will be here before I know it, you will be dancing with your dad at your wedding. He also took me out for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and then we went and played glow-in-the-dark miniature golf. I don't know what your dad and I are going to be like as parents, don't know what your impression of us will be, but you should know that we have always loved doing fun, silly, goofy things together, things that make us laugh. I hope we never lose that. The best part of the day was the beautiful gift he gave me--a diamond and sapphire ring. Sapphire will be your birthstone, sweet girl! I call it my "mom ring," and I haven't gone a day without it on since getting it. I think of you every time I look at it.

The next day your dad got on a plane for Europe. He takes two big European trips a year--one around our anniversary, and one around Thanksgiving. I am not happy about this travel schedule, especially since he will miss Thanksgiving this year, our first one with you! But I am happy for his job, and I guess you have to take the good with the bad. To help keep me company while he is gone, my mom (your grandma) came into town. We had a wonderful girls' weekend, getting our nails done, watching chick-flicks, getting massages, and spending a couple of days in Fredricksburg. We had a great time walking up and down Main St., looking in all the shops and buying cute little things for you. You are so much fun to shop for!! (I have been a little worried since settling on your name that you would never get any personalized gifts, as neither "Alina" nor "Ali" are very common. But amazingly we did find some cute little "Ali" stickers and of course had to get them. Your first personalized gift!) Your grandma is so excited about you--she looked at every adorable outfit, every fun toy, and talked about how excited she is. I just know you and her are going to be fast friends...I hope one day you know how lucky you are to have her. One the way back home, we stopped off in Luckenbach. I was so excited to take you there--it's very famous, and one day we'll go back again and spend the evening dancing under the stars.

So, you and I both had a big weekend! I had my anniversary and a wonderful weekend with my mom, and you had your first massage and your first trip to Luckenbach. How luxurious!

In pregnancy news, I've been fighting a nasty cold for the last week or two. I had been so determined not to take any medicine while pregnant, but eventually the doctors convinced me that taking medicine was safer than getting a nasty infection. Health is so important, sweet Alina...it's one of those things most people take for granted until it's gone. I hope you can always remember to stop and be thankful for your health, for your strength, for your vitality.

I am 19 weeks pregnant--almost half-way there!! I love the way you make me look, love my beautiful belly. I know the way you've set up house in there means that I won't likely feel you moving around much for another 3 weeks or so, but I am so ready to feel you! Anytime you feel like dancing around a little and saying hi will be ok with me. I am ready and waiting.

Your dad says he misses you and can't wait to come home. I'm glad that you are always right here with me.

With love,
Momma

2 comments:

BeckO said...

And the waterworks have begun.
Beautiful letter to your sweet girl. She is so blessed.

Unknown said...

you always write the sweetest notes to your little girl. i love it!! and someday she will too :)