Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Ten on Tuesday

1. I love, love, love living with a foreigner. Every day brings new hilarity. Take this conversation we had last night as an example. It started when he tried to get baby girl to sit cross-legged.

TH: Sit Indian style, Ali!
Me: That's not what they call it anymore. It's not PC.
TH: Oh, sorry. Sit Native American style, Ali!
Me: (laughing) No, it's because it's stereotypical to assume that all Native Americans sat that way.
TH: So what do they call it then?
Me: Criss-cross applesauce.
TH: WHAT?!?! Why applesauce??
Me: Because it rhymes with criss-cross.
TH: That's a stupid reason. Why not call it criss-cross albatross?
Me: (dying laughing) WHY??? Why would they reference a bird?
TH: An albatross is a bird???? I thought it was a fish . . .

And so on. I have no idea if American guys are like this. But seriously. He cracks my shit up.

2. You know what else cracks me up? This picture. She kept trying to catch the bubbles, only to be dismayed when they would disappear into thin air as soon as her chubby little fingers made contact. After two or three times of this, she stopped trying to grab them and started giving them the side-eye. Funny girl.

3. Baby girl clothes are the CUTEST. The only problem is that we don't have enough occasions to wear all her cute stuff. I send her to school in cotton pants and a onesie--I figure she needs to be comfortable, right? So we have a closet full of dresses and such that just aren't getting worn. So on Sunday, we instituted Fun Dress Sunday. That's right. We played dress up and took pictures for no other reason than it was gorgeous weather and gosh darn it, she needs an occasion to don some of her dresses!
4. We call her two teeth "chompers." Check 'em out.
Too cute. Or, I guess I should say, two cute. Love them.

5. Baby girl is really working on her waving. She is constantly curling her fingers and watching them in fascination. Most often she waves at herself. Other times she tries to wave while holding a plastic ring . . . since she can't curl her fingers, she ends up bending her wrist back and forth so that it looks like she's fanning herself with the ring. Sometimes she keeps her fist closed and just bends the wrist back and forth so that it looks like she's revving a motorcycle engine. She is also starting to connect the wave to "bye-bye." She has a toy that says "bye-bye" if it sits unused for too long. She can be totally into something else, having long forgotten about the toy, but then it chirps up with a "bye-bye" and she mimics it back, saying "ba-ba" while curling her little fingers. I need to catch all this on video sometime soon.

6. She's also working on her mobility. While she's still not holding herself up on her hands and knees yet, she's getting to where she'll push up on them. The problem is that her arms are overpowering her legs, so she just keeps pushing herself backwards. So she sees something that she wants, tries to get to it, and just ends up getting farther and farther away. Then she'll squeal in frustration. And we can't help but laugh at how awesome it all is to watch a baby learn new skills. Another thing I need to catch on video.

7. Speaking of videos, our video monitor crapped out two nights ago. Well, it didn't technically crap out, it just succumbed to a static storm. We went back and forth with different configurations, different placements, turning off our wireless router, turning off our home phone, etc. We finally got it to be *okay* if it's in the bathroom, backed up to the wall where the transmitter is in her room. But that means it's not on my bedstand anymore. That means I can't just peek in at her at any point in the night. And I miss that. So we're going to keep trying to get it to work, back on my bedstand where I like it.

8. I'm late. Well, as late as you can be when breastfeeding and not on any kind of regimented birth control, leaving my body free reign to be all willy-nilly with my cycle. Even so, my cycles have been surprisingly, wonderfully regular ever since they started back up at 12 weeks postpartum. Yes, I took a test. It was negative. So who knows? Looks like I'll just keep testing once a week until something happens. It sucks not knowing what is going on.

9. I got a mom suit. Swim suit that is. At a special store that sells special suits that have a bit more . . . um, support. Turns out I'm a D! Holy hell. I started at a small B. The suit was tre expensive, but it makes me feel hot, and that is in kind of short supply these days, so I say totally worth it.

10. You know what's not expensive? Baby clothes at the Carters outlet. After realizing that baby girl doesn't have much of a summer wardrobe, we hit the outlets on Sunday to see what we could find. I ended up getting 8 pairs of shorts, 7 onesies, 2 dresses, 2 sleep sacks, and a shirt for . . . (drumroll please) . . . $75!! I was so happy. And now we have a ton of cute little tanks and shorts for her very first hot Texas summer as an outside baby. Squee!

1 comment:

BeckO said...

I cracked up at the bubble photo/story. Love her!! :) And I am sooo saying "Criss Cross Albatross" with the twins tomorrow. LOL

We miss you guys!